Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

Showbiz News

Stuart Hall pleads not guilty to three counts of indecent assault

By
Stuart Hall has pleaded not guilty at Preston Magistrates' Court to three counts of indecent assault.

The broadcaster has been granted bail but must live at his home Cheshire address and may not have unsupervised contact with children under the age of 17.

 Stuart Hall pictured at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire in December 2011

© PA Images / Martin Rickett/PA Archive



Asked if he wanted to enter a plea to three separate charges, Hall said: "Yes I do. Not guilty to all three charges."

Prosecutor Joanne Cunliffe said that the case should be committed to crown court. Defence lawyer Louise Straw told District Judge Peter Ward there was no objection to this.

Hall, who was arrested last month by Lancashire Police, was bailed until April 16 when he will appear at Preston Crown Court.

The sports broadcaster is alleged to have felt the breast of a girl aged 16 or 17, between September 1, 1974 and December 31, 1974 in Blackpool.

The second charge he faces is of molesting a 9-year-old girl between January 1, 1983 and December 31, 1983.

The last charge related to the alleged indecent assault of a 13-year-old girl by kissing her on the lips, at a time between July 1, 1984 and September 27, 1984.

None of the alleged victims can be named for legal reasons.

Hall is perhaps best known for his presenting duties on It's a Knockout from 1972 to 1982.

He was also the original host of Question of Sport, and still contributes to BBC Radio 5 Live.

Hall is renowned for his flamboyant style of commentating, and has claimed to have coined the football phrase "the beautiful game".

The BBC has confirmed that Hall would not work for the company while he faces the charges.

He was given an OBE in the Queen's New Year Honours list for services to broadcasting and charity last December.

You May Like