Essex County Fire and Rescue service confirmed that they were called to the Bulphan home of Mick Norcross after a blaze started in his bathroom at around 2.50pm, The Mirror reports.
Kirk described what happened in a tweet, writing: "Dramas!!!! Got woke up to my dads house on fire! Tried my best to put it out #MyLungsAreF**ked thanks mr fireman for saving my life! X The Only Way Is Essex (sic)."
Assistant divisional officer of the service Tony Clark said: "The fire appears to have been started accidentally by a pile of towels stacked on a shelf too close to a down-lighter in the ceiling.
"The man had inhaled some smoke and was given oxygen therapy by firefighters and then checked over by ambulance crews.
"By the time we left the scene he seemed to be okay."
> Frankie Cocozza, Kirk Norcross 'end bromance'
> Brian Belo launching 'Only Way Is Essex' rival 'Marbella Beach'