The former Coronation Street star announced yesterday that he will be fighting the allegations.
Lancel said: "I will absolutely contest the charges against me. I am not able to say any more at the moment."
The actor, who played Frank Foster in Coronation Street, has been charged with five counts of indecent assault on a victim under 16.
His lawyer Stuart Nolan said: "Mr Lancel was invited by police to co-operate with an inquiry by one complainant about events that allegedly took place over 20 years ago.
"He is confident his innocence will be established."
The 42-year-old is currently starring in Epstein: The Man Who Made the Beatles at the Epstein Theatre in Liverpool. The show received a standing ovation from the audience last night (December 1).
Lancel, who has appeared in The Bill, previously tweeted to his fans: "My lovely followers and friends. Your support means the world. Have faith. Good night. x."