Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

TV Interview

Steve Jones, Miquita Oliver ('T4')

By
Steve Jones, Miquita Oliver ('T4')
This Sunday afternoon, just for a few hours, the small Somerset town of Weston-super-Mare will become the centre of the pop universe. Everyone from McFly to Sugababes to Duffy will be taking to the stage at the annual T4 On The Beach music festival, strutting their stuff for 30,000 gig-goers and a million odd Channel 4 viewers. We caught up with Steve Jones and Miquita Oliver, hosting the event once again this year, to find out more.

T4 On The Beach is now in its sixth year. Why do you think it's become such a staple of the summer festival season?
Miquita: "Because there aren't any big pop gigs any more. When I was younger we used to have Smash Hits roadshows and stuff like that, but now T4 On The Beach and Radio 1's Big Weekend are the only events you can go to for all different types of music. We have pop bands here! It's OK to have a pop band play in the summer and still call it a festival, you know."
Steve: "We don't take ourselves too seriously. Every other festival's so serious and all 'Jay-Z's playing? Well, f**k that, I'm not going if Jay-Z's playing!" There's something for everyone at T4 On The Beach and I think that's why more and more people are coming every year. It's just a bloody good day out."

Now you've hosted the event a few times, do you feel more confident about getting up on stage?
Miquita: "Yeah, definitely. The first time I did it I was 19 and I was soooo scared before I went on. But I swear to God once you get on you just don't want to get off."
Steve: "The first time I did it I remember getting into the dressing room five minutes before we were due on stage and Vernon Kay was having a nap. I was like, 'How the f**k can he do this? It's so bloody nervewracking!' But I've definitely got used to it now."

What do you think of this year's lineup?
Miquita: "I'm really excited by it! By February I'm literally going, 'Who've we got for T4 On The Beach? Who've we got for T4 On The Beach?'"
Steve: "There's such a nice range of people again: Adele, McFly, Lightspeed Champion. These people are so different and varied and that's what this event is all about."

And don't forget Robyn.
Miquita: "I really like her! She's a bit crazy and she dresses like a sort of weird German raver."
Steve: "A weird German pixie raver! She's a funny little thing but I like her though, she's a nice girl. She's a No.1 artist too so she'll go down really well with the crowd."

Who would you like to make an unexpected last minute appearance?
Miquita: "Paolo Nutini would be nice, but he hasn't got any music out at the moment which is annoying. Next year, next year."
Steve: "White Stripes for me."
Miquita: "Oh God, I wish my answer was a bit cooler now!"
Steve: "You hadn't thought about your answer, had you Miquita?"

Miquita, is there any chance of your friend Lily Allen coming down?
Miquita: "Erm... no."

Last year the event seemed to be a magnet for drunk Hollyoaks stars. What should festival-goers do if they bump into them?
Steve: "Just avoid them if you know what's good for you. We managed to keep most of it quiet last year, but they're actually very dangerous people. Whatever you do, don't take anything they might offer you - and keep away from them!"

That could be a little tricky because they tend to descend en masse.
Miquita: "That's very true. They never walk alone, they walk in fours and sevens."
Steve: "It's pack mentality! I didn't want to talk about this but last year some of those girls... they touched me. They cornered me and they touched me and I didn't like it. Just be careful, is all I'm saying."

Steve Jones and Miquita Oliver present this year's T4 On The Beach music festival, airing live on Channel 4 from 1.50pm this Sunday.

You May Like