The show, which saw Winner visiting people's houses to judge their home cooking, failed to become a hit during its recent run in a primetime Friday night slot.
According to The Sun, ITV bosses had told the food critic that his programme would only be recommissioned if it pulled in an average audience of 4.5m or more. However, when the final episode aired last week, a mere 1.92m were tuning in.
It is thought that network chiefs now believe Dining Stars would have been better suited to a daytime slot like similar show Come Dine With Me.
A source said: "ITV executives really believed in the show, but it just didn't work out. Programmes just can't survive with ratings that low in a 9pm slot. There is a chance it could come back as a daytime show, but it is unlikely."
An ITV spokesman insisted that it is too early to say whether Dining Stars has a future.