The 37-year-old footballer incorporated Michael Jackson's iconic 'crotch grab' move into his paso doble on Saturday's Halloween special, which was choreographed to 'Bad' by the late King Of Pop.
The BBC confirmed yesterday (October 31) that it had received 267 complaints from Strictly viewers about Savage's performance, which was broadcast before the 9pm watershed.
A spokesperson said: "Robbie danced a paso doble to Michael Jackson's Bad. The choreography emulated some of Michael's famous dance moves and no offence was intended."
Savage himself has now entered the controversy on Twitter, despairing at viewers who failed to see his intention behind the 'inappropriate' move.
"So some people thought it was inappropriate to do a Michael Jackson move at 7pm on a sat night to one of his songs ! Why ?" he asked.
"Seriously what is the world coming to when on an entertainment show people complain about a famous MJ move which my 5 year old loves doing !"
Savage also said that he believed the complaints to be a personal attack, stating: "seems I upset 267 people out of 11-5 million on sat night with MJ moves!just seems some people have it in for me, nothing new there then !
"It was just a Michael Jackson move,well still going to enjoy myself have fun because I'm having time of my life 267 people won't put me off!"
He previously assured fans that he would be showing a "softer side" in his next dance with partner Ola Jordan.
"Unfortunately Wont be able to throw a thrust into the waltz," he jested. "seriously it's a beautiful song , beautiful choreography on sat
"I Cant wait to show people the softer side of me with this dance hopefully surprise you, no thrusting for the ballroom boy!"
He added: "Thank you so much for your support on here you lot loved Saturday's dance ! I'll keep trying to entertain you that's what it's about right !"
Savage recently debunked press reports that he is to quit Strictly Come Dancing.
> 'Strictly' Robbie Savage: 'Craig Revel Horwood made me cry'