The BBC are said to be looking to poach the Take That singer from ITV1's The X Factor, according to The Mirror.
Barlow reportedly impressed the BBC after his curated Diamond Jubilee concert brought in big ratings on Monday (June 4), while his Commonwealth documentary was also successful on Sunday.
A BBC source is quoted as saying: "Gary's proven to be a ratings banker for the BBC.
"We would love to do more TV with him and he has completely free range with us in terms of projects and is not ordered around by someone like Simon Cowell.
"His label Universal works with The Voice and they see him as someone who could turn the show around.
"He might be doing The X Factor now, but we'll be talking to him and a dream option would be to have him signed by the end of the year."
Cowell however is allegedly not as fond of Barlow's image on The X Factor, and may not offer him a third series in 2013.
An insider claimed: "Simon is not a big fan. He has told some friends he thinks this will be Gary's last year on the X Factor panel.
"If that is the case, Gary would be free to work where he wants in 2013."
A spokesperson for BBC One controller Danny Cohen said that he has enjoyed working with Barlow during the Diamond Jubilee.
Jessie J, will.i.am, Sir Tom Jones and Danny O'Donoghue are reportedly all facing the axe ahead of the The Voice UK's second series.
Barlow is currently at number one in both the album and singles chart with Jubilee project 'Sing' in the midweek lists.