Scouts from the BBC One talent show were scheduled to attend an open mic night to find singers to attend the nationwide auditions.
However, the event is said to have been cancelled after only five people signed up, reports The Sun.
The evening was due to be held at The Coffee Room Café Bar in Birmingham on Saturday.
The BBC later stated that the open mic night was not an official audition, and that 60 people had attended a similar event the following evening.
"Saturday's event was an open mic night organised by a local businessman," a spokesperson said.
"Our official auditions will run nationwide in August and September and we've had a huge, fantastic response. More than 25,000 people have already applied - a figure that is higher than last year."
Jessie J and Sir Tom Jones are rumoured not to be returning for a second series of the talent show.
However, Jones has said that he would like to make a return with his fellow judges.