The finale of The Returned on Sunday night (July 28) left many TV fans scratching their heads in confusion. The spooky French supernatural series piled mystery on top of mystery and answered very few (if any) of the questions that it posed to viewers throughout the first series.
Digital Spy has helpfully compiled a list of the most burning questions that desperately need answers in series two next year.
1. What's causing the dead to come back?
It's unlikely we'll ever get a full explanation for this, but perhaps we'll be able to understand in series two why specific people are chosen to come back. Only Camille returned from the school bus crash, so why not the other children?
2. How are the Returned connected to water? The flooding, the watery grave, the falling dam water?
Again, we probably won't get a full explanation.
3. Presuming the one final person they wanted was Adele's baby, why did the returned not want Serge back?
Poor old murdering guts-eating Serge. Not wanted by the dead or the living.
4. Who or what is Lucy? Where did she come from? Is she the leader of the Returned?
Having sex with people to find out their secrets is very cool, but ever so slightly sinister.
5. What did Simon really do on his wedding day? Was it suicide? Was it an accident? Or do we suspect something more murky?
We just can't trust that dodgy priest.
6. Has nobody thought of using a telephone?
The national news may be interested in an impending zombie apocalypse.
7. Pierre vs Victor vs Louis
Pierre and his sinister eyebrows were involved in the murder of Louis/Victor. How was he connected? And how was he able to combat Louis/Victor's 'vision' of the returning gunman?
8. Speaking of Victor, what was he doing standing in front of the coach?
Victor/Louis switched back and forth from cute kid who got cruelly killed in his closet to sinister evil little creep at regular intervals in series one. Is he good or bad? And why was he standing in the middle of the road all those years ago? And where did he disappear to after the crash?
9. What is the significance of the Helping Hand?
Pierre seems to know much more about the whole situation than us and everyone else. Why? And is the Helping Hand of particular significance? "Everyone is welcome at the Helping Hand."
10. Camille and Lena. Discuss?
Their connection goes way beyond being twins. They feel each other having sex. Some viewers even think they may have swapped identities before the crash. And why is Lena the only living person to have a scar? Is this also due to her connection with Camille?
10. Talking of the scars... what are they all about?
Do they peel off to reveal the dead zombies underneath? Are they a warning that the Returned have a limited time to visit the living?
11. How did Serge heal Lena?
We'd almost forgotten about this until someone mentioned it in the office. Is this a specific power of Serge's? A killer and a healer?
11. Why did only some of the Returned visit their families?
Did all the creatures in the woods and those feasting on the Lake Pub toilets have nobody to visit? What's the difference between the lurking Returned in the shadows and the ones who came back to the town?
12. What happened to Serge in the lake?
Is he just a bad swimmer?
13. What 'powers' do the Returned have?
They appear to vary case-to-case. Psychics, the power to heal, the power to create hallucinations - do they all possess these skills? And how many times can the Returned be killed and come back? Simon appears to be invincible.
14. Why are they so hungry?
Simon was even willing to munch on his own rotting flesh.
15. Why can nobody leave the town?
Is the village some form of purgatory? Let the Lost-esque conspiracies and theories begin.
16. What was the significance of the death of Sandrine's child?
Was it purely symbolic/stress-related? Or is there a darker theory behind the miscarriage?
17. Why does the power keep going off?
Someone put another nickel in the meter, for heaven's sake.
18. What is the significance of the Returned sleeping?
Victor finally went to sleep in the final episode. And then he was taken away. Was that why he was afraid to close his eyes?
19. Most importantly of all, why were both Camille and Lena chasing Frederic?
The dopey lad has the personality of a wet fish.
Have you got some unanswered questions that we've missed? Let us know below