In fact, there's a sense throughout that Mini's actions - particularly her anger and tendency to snap - are partially motivated by the loss of her friend. Of course, that's not all that's going on... Mini's also pregnant.
I'm impressed that Skins didn't leave this revelation as a cliffhanger; instead, it came at the beginning of the episode, allowing us to see how this surprise news was shaping Mini's behaviour and how she was reacting.
But Mini's pregnancy was almost in the background of the episode, too, even though it had an effect on everything she did. It helped us see that she wasn't dealing with it, hence the huge number of positive tests hidden away in her drawer and her stunning, heartbroken line: "I haven't told myself yet."
The pregnancy also helped to explain Mini's decision to invite her father back into her life, in a topsy-turvy storyline where you never quite know what to believe. Throughout, you know Gregory isn't going to win any 'Dad of the Year' awards - he's shifty and evasive and asked: "Mini who?" when she called.
But we're seeing this through Mini's eyes, of course, and she's desperate to believe that this time will be different. When he begins buying her dresses, inviting her to glamorous parties, building a bed for her in his apartment and ridiculously offering to take her to Australia, you're left wondering if perhaps this could stick, after all.
That means that the inevitable moment when Gregory bolts is even more devastating (especially as it comes after Mini reveals that she's pregnant and begs for his support). I also liked the way that this left Mini seeing her mother's boyfriend Eric differently - originally, she thinks he's an irritating pervert, but by the end she's embracing him (tellingly, after she's checked that he's planning to stick around).
There's not such a happy ending when it comes to Alo, who misguidedly tells Mini that he loves her after sex. I can't quite tell if she's genuinely looking for no-strings fun, or if she's too scared to form a connection after Grace's death, but either way, she can't handle it.
Alo eventually gives up chasing her, devastatingly telling her: "I don't think you know how to love anything" just as she's come to visit him in an attempt to apologise. I do think Mini genuinely felt bad about the way she'd treated him, but part of me can't help but wonder if this change of heart was because of her recognition that father figures are a necessity...
All of this could have led to an unbearably dark episode, but as Skins has done so well this series, it was blended with lighter moments. I adored the slapstick opening, as Alo sneaks into the next toilet cubicle after having sex with Mini to avoid Liv - only to realise a girl was already there...
I also enjoyed seeing the group invade Mini's father's party, even if it did lead to a big row, because it's always nice when we get to see the group together. And to top it all off, the ending was beautiful.
I love that Mini initially refused to look at the scan, determined not to connect with her unborn child (earlier, her mother had said the scan was the moment she knew she'd always love Mini). But her inability to resist, coupled with tears and then weepy laughter, was a wonderful way to close the episode.
This, then, was another impressive episode of Skins - quieter than we're used to, maybe, but with some really interesting moments and the potential for a lot more development in the future...
What's the skinny?
- I'll be interested to see how Mini's relationships with the others develop in the episodes to come, since she isolated herself from all of them this week - except, perhaps, for Franky.
- Speaking of Franky, I don't blame Mini for pulling away when she touched her belly. Right? Awkward...
- I know I mentioned it already, but the club toilet opening was great, wasn't it? Really funny.
- Alo miming sex with his hands while speaking to Mini about "the thing [they] did" in front of her dad was cringeworthy but brilliant.
- What did you think about Mini's little fling-thing with Ryan? Clearly, it was all just a question of her going through a tough time... and Ryan being there.
- Did anyone feel a bit... bad for Shelley? I know she had awful, loud sex with Eric, but she was the one that had been there for Mini over the years (I'm not saying she's the best mum out there, but at least she tried - more than Gregory did.) I think Mini realised this eventually, though.
- "Can you turn off Megabitch for a second please? I want proper Mini."
- "If you're not here to f**k me, go home."
- Rich is back! How awful was that teacher? "You poor, poor soldier of love." I mean, really. (The following Alo-Rich hug was adorable, though.)
- "Everyone says you're going to f**k me over, dad."
- Liv's realised Alo is in love with Mini. (I love that she added: "Not a chance in hell.") I wonder if their relationship/fling/friends-with-benefits thing will stay a secret.
- "I don't want you here. I never wanted you at all, you understand? Now get the f**k out, you deluded loser." Ouch.
- Mini was drinking while pregnant, right? Naughty Mini.
- "Maybe you weren't worth the effort."