The television veteran, who recently celebrated his final week on Live! With Regis and Kelly, told the New York Post's Page Six that he is thinking about his next step in broadcasting with newly-formed production company RAF Productions.
Philbin said: "We're contemplating a show that is sort of a talent show, but it involves the whole family... a family competition, which is something new in our business. It's going to be on primetime when it happens."
The 80-year-old also told the newspaper that he had been approached about the possibility of launching a variety-type show, saying: "[An] entertainment type of show would appeal to me, almost a variety show.
"In our business you don't want to say variety because it's frowned upon now, but something with people who are performing."
Philbin bowed out of Live! With Regis & Kelly on Friday, November 18 after nearly 29 years on the air in an episode which looked back on his most memorable moments on the show.
Addressing the viewers in his final show, he said: "I'll never be able to answer all the cards and messages, especially in the last few weeks. Thank you very much for these years together. God bless you all, and I hope I see you again real soon."
> Regis Philbin: 'Live exit is bittersweet'
> Regis Philbin: 'I've always wanted to host Saturday Night Live'