'Nationals' is one of those 'big performance' episodes. Relying on nostalgia for emotion, the script turns out to be extremely enjoyable in spite of how much time it wastes.
Will is worried that his glee club won't win. He's worried that his three years of teaching may not have been enough. Meanwhile, the New Directions themselves are anxious about the possibility of not winning - they don't want Will to think he's not good enough, and they firmly believe that he is the teacher of a lifetime.
At Nationals, the New Directions perform Lady GaGa's 'The Edge of Glory', Celine Dion's 'It's All Coming Back to Me Now' and Meat Loaf's 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light'. All solid performances, no choking and basically what you'd expect.
Vocal Adrenaline, still headed by Jesse St. James, have also made it to Nationals once more. Through this, we meet Unique again who says he "might need to transfer schools" after singing at Nationals in a dress. I guess we'll be seeing him next year, then? He sings two songs (Nicki Minaj's 'Starship' and The Who's 'Pinball Wizard'), which is definitely one song too many for a character we barely know.
On the judging panel this year are Lindsay Lohan, Perez Hilton and a character named Martin, played by Rex Lee (known for his roles in Entourage and Suburgatory). Hilton and Lohan work really well on Glee, with the pair spewing comedic hatred at each other.
LiLo loves New Directions, acknowledging that after losing last year, "people love comebacks", while Hilton is a Vocal Adrenaline supporter because the plot serves it. All very funny, and if there's a reason to watch this hour, it's probably for them. Martin is undecided, and the scene cuts away...
Third place are The Portland Scaleblazers. In second place, Vocal Adrenaline. Which means, first place goes to New Directions!
The glee club return to McKinley High, welcomed with open arms. Everyone now cares and understands the talent of their classmates! Aw - though I can't imagine it lasting long. The show must go on and all, but it's all warm and fuzzy for our ragtag group of singers. So maybe it's not an episode with a lot to chew on, but it serves its purpose and sometimes there's nothing wrong with that.
- Emma leaves Will the leaflet "When It's Finally Time to Have Intercourse". And they do! I'm sure millions of tweens around the world were pining for that long-awaited moment.
- Will wins 'Teacher of the Year'. Questionable considering he couldn't speak Spanish, his teaching job, the other week.
- All the New Directions sing 'We Are the Champions' to everyone - perhaps a little boastful?
- Whoopi Goldberg was back as Carmen watched Rachel perform. She's totally getting into NYADA!
- It's the finale and graduation next week. The fourth season will split its time between New York and McKinley. How exciting.