The 18-year-old from Boston, Massachusetts was sent home from The CW competition on Wednesday night after the judges failed to see a spark in her Zac Posen runway show challenge and a later rollerskating commercial.
Tyra said she was "proud" of Esther's achievements on the show and said she set an "amazing example" for young girls with her curves, suggesting that she should go home and work on the feedback she was given by the judges.
The episode opened as the girls recounted the previous elimination. Liz said that she felt great to have broken Ann's top photo streak, while Ann admitted that it was a "disappointment" that she didn't get it, although added that she wasn't afraid of going home but knew everybody else had been improving. Meanwhile, Esther decided she would try to show more of her personality this week in order to avoid a bottom two finish again.
Miss J arrived then at the house with a message, saying that the next day they would be doing a fashion show. He then introduced this week's designer - Zac Posen! Ann admitted she had mixed feelings about walking in a runway show at this stage: "It's exciting but nerve-wracking." The girls were then allowed to sit down with Zac and ask questions, such as what he looked for in a top model (sense of attitude, confidence and personality) and what kind of walk he liked (depends on the model and the show). Zac then said that the girls should view their runway walk as a type of "performance" and put attitude into it.
The next day the girls arrived at the runway show and learned that the winner would get five Zac Posen looks (Chelsey was desperate to win). Elsewhere, Miss J met Zac's professional models and told them to act mean to the contestants so the judges could see how the girls handle themselves. Among the digs the professional models made were, 'I don't think you're ready for this' and 'There are a lot of people out there - don't screw it up.' Miss J later revealed that it was a set-up but insisted the girls needed to develop thick skins for this industry. After giving feedback to all the girls, Chelsey was crowned the winner. "I'm speechless!" she said.
This week's photoshoot was for a beauty and energy water drink called H2T and it involved rollerskating and kissing male models. Ann was nervous about the combination of being tall and on skates, while Kayla was uncomfortable about the kiss. Mr Jay knew something was wrong with Kayla and took her to one side, where she confessed the reasons behind her hesitation: "When I was 11 I was sexually assaulted and this whole challenge freaks me out; I don't want to kiss them or interact with them. They scare me and I really don't want to do it."
Kayla was first up and Mr Jay said he was "really impressed" by her ability to "push aside painful memories [and] deliver a memorable performance". Chris also impressed, while Nigel was "disappointed" by Liz because of her giggling, suggesting she wasn't taking it seriously, and Mr Jay thought Esther was "underenergised and flat".
Tyra, Nigel and Andre were joined by Zac Posen for the judging.
- Jane: Zac thought she had a "magic moment" at the end, with Andre agreeing that the contact with the male model was great. Zac also praised the lighting on Jane's face and her smile. Nigel said she had the lines down, the lighting was good and her outfit was great but he still wanted to see more of her.
- Liz: Nigel said she was "absolute and utter mess" and the most irritating for him was her laughter. Liz became emotional and said she wanted to succeed for her daughter's benefit, to which Tyra said that meant she actually had an advantage on the other girls because she had an extra element that should make her hungrier and take the competition more seriously.
- Chris: The panel really liked her commercial. "Besides the cheese, I thought it was fun and real," said Tyra. Zac praised her charm and bubbly personality and said she made him want to skate with her. Andre thought there was good fluidity, energy and her smile worked.
- Ann: Andre said he felt like she was in "deep pain" the whole way through and there was no sense of letting go. Zac advised her to come to a challenge with "invisible strength" and a "sense of confidence". Nigel added: "If you own it, we believe it and it would be endearing. Fear is not endearing."
- Kayla: Tyra liked the fact that Kayla looked "urban" in the commercial and was identifiable. Zac loved the movement and look at the beginning but could see she was "extremely uncomfortable" with the male model.
- Chelsey: Nigel said it started off a mess but she got better; Tyra didn't think she was bad, just "a little wooden" and wanted a "little more flirtation and fun". Andre wanted more energy, while Zac said that she needed to get into character and into zone.
- Esther: "In every way it was a mess," said Zac. Nigel said the biggest problem was that she "wasn't memorable in any way". Tyra pointed out her voice has a natural muffler on it and she has to work on that, while Andre said that looking at her in front of him he saw a model who could go on a go-see.
Chris was named the best commercial of the week. The call-out order was: Jane, Chelsey, Kayla and Liz. Ann and Esther were in the bottom two. Tyra said that although Ann took great photos the panel were concerned about whether she could present herself properly in other challenges, while Esther's photos were not as strong as Ann's but still "beautiful, edgy, interesting and commercial" although the panel thought something was lacking in what she delivered. Esther was eliminated.
"I think moving forward from this competition I am going to try to open myself up more," she said. "I'm sad about leaving and not being here anymore. When I go home I want to continue modelling and maybe be on the cover of Italian Vogue one day in my own right. We'll see!"
America's Next Top Model continues next Wednesday at 8/7c on The CW